CertainTeed is one of the most popular and reputable brands of roofing shingles around. Both homeowners and professional roofing contractors agree that CertainTeed shingles make for one of the best roofing systems thanks to their sturdiness and longevity — as well as their affordability.
If it’s time for a roof replacement and you’re sifting through your shingle options, then this overview will help you make your final decision. Keep reading for an overview of what CertainTeed shingles bring to the table.
Everything You Need to Know About CertainTeed
The first thing every homeowner needs to know about CertainTeed is that the manufacturer offers three varieties of asphalt shingles:
- Dimensional shingles
- Strip shingles
- Luxury shingles
Each variety comes with its own set of advantages, but the primary difference between each type is the cost. Let’s take a closer look at each type:
CertainTeed’s dimensional shingles are roofing shingles designed to replicate the appearance of wooden shakes and slate thanks to their multi-layer pattern. These shingles are also heavy and come with a more extensive warranty compared to the others, as they’re the most advanced choice among CertainTeed’s other offerings.
The dimensional roofing shingles come in several variations — including the manufacturer’s luxury shingle offerings — such as Landmark, Landmark Pro, Landmark Premium, Northgate, and Highland Slate.
The Strip shingle line consists of conventional 3-tab asphalt shingles that are both lightweight and cost-effective. More specifically, CertainTeed’s Strip shingles are known as the XT 25 line. The XT 25 strip shingles are composed of single-layer asphalt that’s fire-resistant and comes with a 10-year warranty against algae damage.
They’re also available in a wide variety of colors. However, they don’t hold up as well during high gusts of wind over 60 miles per hour.
The Pros and Cons of CertainTeed Shingles
To get a better understanding of why CertainTeed shingles are so popular and who they benefit most, let’s take a look at the pros and cons.
- 🔨 They’re convenient to install. CertainTeed shingles may be heavier than the others on the market, but they’re among the easiest to install. This is largely due to the fact that roofing contractors who work with CertainTeed products take advantage of the manufacturer’s certification training program regarding their innovative NailTrack system, which provides roofers with a larger area to work with.
- 🏅 They come with an excellent warranty. CertainTeed shingle products generally come with a lifetime transferable limited warranty known as the SureStart guarantee. This warranty lasts up to 10 years and covers the costs of all labor and materials should any shingles fail.
- 💪 They’re incredibly durable. CertainTeed shingles are known to be one of the heaviest shingle products available on the market today. They’re composed of several fiberglass layers, which contribute to their durability and also prevent granules from coming off.
- 👍 Integrity Roof System benefits. CertainTeed offers Integrity Roofing, which is a complete roofing material system that includes Solaris hip and ridge caps in addition to shingles, a waterproof underlayment, starter shingles, and more. What this means is that by investing in the entire roofing system, you’re guaranteed roofing components that are 100% compatible.
- 🔥 High resistance classifications. CertainTeed shingles are one of the only shingle products on the market with both a Class A fire rating and a StreakFighter warranty. They also feature innovative EcoSmart technology, which slows down algae growth to prevent premature damage.
- 💸 They’re costly. While CertainTeed shingles are marketed as affordable — and they are — as far as general roofing goes, their quality comes at a price. In other words, they’re on the pricier side of asphalt shingles.
- 📋 Warranty claims can be a bit of a hassle. Like most shingle manufacturers that offer competitive warranties, the claims process can be tedious and leaves enough room for mistakes that could lead to a claim denial. Moreover, purchasing an extended warranty can add up to 15% of the shingles’ total cost.
The Cost Breakdown of CertainTeed Shingles
While you can expect to pay a pretty penny for CertainTeed products, you can also expect your new roof to last up to 25 years or more — and with little need for repairs. You can also expect the cost of materials to vary depending on the line of shingles you choose.
Here are the price ranges per square for each shingle line from CertainTeed:
Shingle Line Price Range Per Square:
- 3-Tab XT 25 $70-$85
- 3-Tab XT 25 IT $65-$80
- Landmark $85-$100
- Landmark PROS $120-$130
- Landmark Premium $150-$160
- Independence Shingles $165-$180
- Grand Manor $220-$245
- Highland Slate Shingles $150-$165
It should also be noted that labor charges for shingle installation per square can range between $130 and $240. To get the most accurate pricing for the shingles you want, it’s best to speak with your roofing contractor.
CertainTeed Shingle Color Options
CertainTeed roofing shingles come in a wide range of color options; however, those options will depend on two things:
- The line of shingles — such as Landmark versus Grand Manor
- Your location
The actual colors you can choose from range from pewter gray to cottage red, with everything in between to complement virtually all home aesthetics. Of course, your location in relation to each manufacturer facility will impact what your color options are.
Your roofing contractor will be able to present you with all of your color options for each shingle line. Of course, if you have a specific color in mind that isn’t available in your area, there may be a possibility of specially ordering it from the manufacturer.
Are CertainTeed Roofing Shingles Right For Your Roof?
CertainTeed’s roofing shingles are an excellent option for your next roofing system. They’re dependable, long-lasting, and come with a worthwhile warranty to produce you financially from material or labor issues. Ultimately, they’re superior to conventional shingle products — which makes them worth their price tag.
Want to learn more about CertainTeed shingles as well as your other options for roofing materials in Columbus? Give Best Exteriors a call today to get all the information you need and a free consultation.