Most homeowners spend a significant amount of time and money making the inside of their houses look beautiful and welcoming. Despite that, it isn’t uncommon for homeowners to forget about the exterior of their homes.
Vinyl siding is one of the most popular siding options on the market, and with good reason. But if you are starting to look into vinyl siding for your home, there is likely one question at the forefront of your mind: how long does vinyl siding last?
A beautiful exterior may not seem that important, but there are tons of benefits when you add new siding to your home, including:
- Curb appeal 🏡
- Resale value 💵
- Environmental protection ⛈️
Today, we’ll be talking about all things vinyl siding related. We’ll break down the benefits, the cost, and the longevity so that you can decide if vinyl siding is the right choice for your home.
If your home is looking a little more run-down than you’d like it to be, it might be time to replace your siding!
Why Install Vinyl Siding?
What exactly makes vinyl siding so popular for homeowners? There are a multitude of reasons why homeowners choose vinyl siding more than almost any other type of siding material. Here are just a few:
- Cost 💰 – While there is no shortage of siding material options on the market, few are as affordable as vinyl siding. Vinyl siding comes in a range of prices based on the style you choose. On a budget? There’s an affordable option waiting for you. Comfortable spending a bit more? Pick a higher-end design option!
- Durability 💪 – Is there anything more discouraging than investing in new siding only to find that it becomes dented and scratched after a hail or windstorm? Vinyl siding is a durable material that can stand up to elements better than traditional materials such as wood siding.
- Eco-Conscious 🌎 – Traditional siding materials require extra work in order to keep it sealed or painted. By foregoing these chemicals, vinyl siding becomes a very eco-friendly option.
- Low Maintenance 😎 – While there certainly is something to be said for siding made out of natural materials, such as wood, the upkeep? Is definitely not where it’s at. When you opt for vinyl siding, you can cut down on your maintenance time by quite a bit. Vinyl siding is fade resistant and won’t require painting or power washing.
- Versatility 🌈 – Vinyl siding technology is better than ever! These days, vinyl siding can be constructed to look like real wood, brick, stone, or any other material that you are drawn to. Get the look you’ve always dreamed of at a fraction of the price of other siding materials.
- Energy Efficient 💡 – No one likes having to pay extra on their energy bills. When you choose vinyl siding, you can help make your home more energy efficient. Better insulation will significantly help improve your home’s energy efficiency.
How Much Does Vinyl Siding Cost?
When making a big investment, like installing new siding, the cost is typically the main concern for homeowners. When it comes to vinyl siding, your cost will largely be dependent on the style that you choose.
The most popular type of vinyl siding is typically traditional lap siding, which will cost between $2-$6 per square foot. This same range applies to more traditional-looking styles, including beaded, dutch lap, and clapboard.
That being said, the prices tend to go up as the styles become more specific. If you are looking for vinyl siding that mimics the look of wood siding and shingles or stone, expect to pay between $4-$10 per square foot.
The average price for a full siding replacement comes in at about $10,000-$40,000.
How Long Does Vinyl Siding Last?
Looking at those numbers, you will see that new siding is a serious investment that shouldn’t be taken lightly. The longevity of your siding will help determine whether it is a cost-efficient option for you and your home.
The good news? Vinyl siding can last quite a long time. The average lifespan is between 20 and 40 years. While this isn’t quite as long a life expectancy as materials such as aluminum siding or fiber cement siding, the upfront installation costs are significantly cheaper, making this a great option for homeowners looking to save money.
When Is It Time to Replace Siding?
While you may understand the benefits of vinyl siding, how do you know when it is time for a replacement? Here are some signs that your existing siding is on its way out.
- Damage 🔨 – One of the easiest ways to determine if it is time for you to invest in new siding is to look and see if your siding has been damaged. Siding can be damaged from a wide variety of sources. Things like hail, wind, pests, and excess moisture can wear down your siding and make the rest of your home vulnerable to things like water damage down the line.
- Cracks and Warping 💔 – Are you noticing that your siding boards are starting to warp or crack? As soon as you see these signs, you should start thinking about scheduling a replacement. Broken siding can affect your overall energy efficiency.
- Faded Color 🎨 – If you’re thinking about selling your home in the near future, but your siding color has faded, you might want to consider adding on new siding. Fresh, vivid siding will help increase your curb appeal and could boost your resale value.
Get The Exterior You Deserve!
When it comes to your home’s exterior, don’t settle for less than the best! Our team at Best Exteriors are experts in all things siding and roofing. Whether you are just dipping your toes into the world of vinyl siding or you know exactly what you want, we can help! Contact us today to set up a free consultation for your home!