Is there anything better than coming home after a long day at work? We don’t think so! However, there is one thing that can make the expression stressful rather than pleasant. What is it?
Coming home to a dirty house.
Sure, we all know that it isn’t nice to walk inside only to be greeted by last night’s dirty dishes and dust clinging to the windowsills. But you know what can also make your house feel unnecessarily dingy? Dirty siding!
The average homeowner doesn’t think to add “cleaning siding” to their list of cleaning tasks, but we are here to convince you that you should! If you’re wondering how to clean vinyl siding safely and effectively, we’ve got you covered with all of the best tips and tricks to keep your home’s exterior looking beautiful all year long.
What Are the Benefits of Vinyl Siding?
Vinyl siding is one of the most popular siding options on the market, and with good reason. If you’re wondering whether or not you should stick with your vinyl siding or if it is the right time to replace your siding with new vinyl siding, we have the research you need. Here are some of the benefits of vinyl siding.
- Affordability – Many homeowners are drawn to vinyl siding for its inexpensive price point. Vinyl siding only costs about $3-$10 per square foot, which makes it a very accessible option for many people.
- Versatility – Your home is an extension of your personal style. Why shouldn’t the exterior be a reflection of that, as well? With vinyl siding, you can choose from a wide range of colors and styles.
- Upgrades Available – If vinyl siding has a downside, it is that it isn’t particularly durable when compared to other siding materials. That being said, you have the option of upgrading to insulated vinyl siding, which offers better durability and insulation for your home.
Why You Should Clean Your Siding
We understand. Cleaning vinyl siding? It sounds like a lot of work for very little reward. However, cleaning your siding has numerous benefits, including:
- Increases Longevity – Siding is expensive, no matter what type of material you choose for your home. When making such a significant investment, it’s only natural that you want to protect your siding for as long as you can. Regular cleaning will help to increase the longevity of your siding.
- Decreases Moss Growth – Moss and fungus growth on your siding isn’t uncommon. However, left untreated it can slowly break down your siding and expose your home to water damage. By washing your siding, you can stop moss and fungus from damaging your home’s exterior.
- Protects Against Pests – Insects can be hugely dangerous to your siding. Cleaning your siding can help you get rid of any insects that may be secretly hanging out on the side of your home.
- Aesthetic Appeal – There’s no denying it! Clean siding is beautiful siding. Making sure that your siding looks fresh will help boost the curb appeal of your home.
3 Steps for Cleaning Vinyl Siding
Ready to get started with cleaning your siding. You don’t want to do it any old way. Instead, stick to these steps to get clean siding that lasts.
1) Create a Cleaning Solution
One of the most important steps in cleaning vinyl siding is using a cleaning solution that isn’t filled with harsh chemicals that will damage your siding. Instead, we recommend creating a homemade vinyl siding cleaner that is both gentle and effective.
To make this, you’ll want to fill a large bucket with a vinegar and water mixture. We recommend adding 1 part vinegar for 2 parts water. Be sure to use regular white vinegar and not any fancy kinds of vinegar in your kitchen for cleaning.
If the DIY route isn’t right for you, you can buy a commercial siding cleaning solution at your local hardware store. We always recommend spot-testing an area before proceeding.
2) Scrub, Scrub, Scrub
When it comes to clean siding, the tools that you use matter. In order to protect your siding, you’ll want to reach for a soft-bristled brush or soft cloth to clean the exterior of your home. These materials will allow you to scrub properly without scratching the siding.
3) Rinse With a Garden Hose
Once you’ve cleaned a section, you’ll want to rinse away any remaining dirt or cleaning products. This can simply be done with your garden hose.
Vinyl Siding Maintenance Tips
Want to keep your vinyl siding looking beautiful for years to come? It all comes down to regular maintenance. Here are some of the best ways to maintain your siding.
- Keep the Area Clear – One of the tricky parts about taking care of the exterior of your home is having to fight against nature’s natural tendencies. In order to keep your siding safe, you’ll want to take the time to regularly trim back any grass, plants, or other vegetation that grows near your home.
- Regular Cleaning – Following this cleaning routine regularly will help extend the life of your siding and keep it looking beautiful.
- Avoid Pressure Washing – Homeowners are split when it comes to the use of a powerwasher for their siding. In general, though, we don’t recommend power washing vinyl siding, as you could end up damaging it while trying to clean it.
Get the Professional Help You Need
Want to learn more about how to care for your vinyl siding? The experts at Best Exteriors are here to help! We are the go-to choice for anyone looking to take care of the exterior of their home. Whether you are looking to replace your siding or to fix up your roof, our team can help. Contact us today to set up your free consultation.