When it comes to protecting and beautifying your home, choosing the right siding is a crucial decision. One name that consistently stands out in the world of siding is James Hardie, and their Hardie board siding is a top choice for homeowners across the United States. But what is Hardie board, exactly? And why do so many homeowners choose it!
In this comprehensive guide, we will explore:
- What Hardie board siding is
- Its history
- Its numerous benefits
- The various styles available
- The right product for your needs
- Insights into the cost of installation
A Brief History of James Hardie Siding
James Hardie Industries, a global leader in fiber cement technology, was founded over 100 years ago in Melbourne, Australia. Originally, the company specialized in the production of asbestos-based building materials. However, as the health risks associated with asbestos became apparent, James Hardie switched to manufacturing safer alternatives. In the 1980s, they introduced fiber cement siding, a breakthrough that transformed the siding industry.
This new product, known as Hardie board siding, quickly gained popularity due to its durability, resistance to various environmental factors, and its authentic wood-like appearance. Over the years, James Hardie has continued to refine and improve its siding products, making them the preferred choice for homeowners and builders worldwide.
Benefits of James Hardie Siding
Wondering if fiber cement siding is right for your home? Here are some of the benefits:
- Durability: One of the primary reasons homeowners opt for Hardie board siding is its outstanding durability. It is engineered to withstand harsh weather conditions, including extreme temperatures, heavy rains, and hurricane-force winds. It is also impervious to pests, rot, and fire, ensuring your home remains protected for years to come.
- Low Maintenance: Unlike wood siding that requires regular painting and sealing, Hardie board siding comes pre-painted with ColorPlus® Technology. This baked-on finish ensures that the paint lasts longer, reducing the need for frequent touch-ups. Additionally, fiber cement siding doesn’t warp, crack, or rot, eliminating the need for ongoing maintenance.
- Design Versatility: Hardie board siding offers a wide range of styles and textures to choose from, allowing homeowners to achieve the exact look they desire for their homes. Whether you prefer the classic charm of cedar shingles or the clean lines of modern planks, there is a Hardie siding option to suit your taste.
- Resale Value: Investing in James Hardie siding can significantly increase the resale value of your home. Potential buyers often recognize the benefits of this high-quality siding material, which can make your property more attractive in the competitive real estate market.
- Energy Efficiency: Hardie board siding can improve your home’s energy efficiency by providing better insulation and reducing heat transfer. This can lead to lower energy bills and a more comfortable living environment.
- Warranty: James Hardie stands behind its products with a robust warranty. Most Hardie board siding products come with a 30-year limited warranty, giving homeowners peace of mind about their investment.
6 Different Styles of James Hardie Siding
James Hardie offers a wide variety of siding styles to match your architectural preferences and design goals. Here are some of the most popular options:
1) HardiePlank® Lap Siding:
This classic style mimics the look of traditional wood siding with its horizontal plank design. It’s available in various textures and colors, making it suitable for both classic and contemporary homes.
2) HardieShingle® Siding:
If you prefer the timeless appeal of cedar shingles, HardieShingle siding offers a low-maintenance alternative. It adds texture and charm to your home’s exterior and comes in various patterns.
3) HardiePanel® Vertical Siding:
For a sleek and modern appearance, HardiePanel vertical siding is a great choice. It can be used as the primary cladding or as an accent to create unique design elements.
4) HardieTrim® Boards:
HardieTrim boards are used for finishing touches, such as trim, fascia, and soffits. They complement the other siding styles and provide a polished look to your home’s exterior.
5) HardieSoffit® Panels:
These panels are designed to provide proper ventilation for your roof while maintaining a seamless look. They come in various widths and can be customized to fit your specific needs.
6) Artisan® Collection:
For those looking for premium, thick boards that emulate the look of real wood, the Artisan Collection offers unparalleled authenticity and style.
How to Pick the Right Product for You
Choosing the right Hardie board siding product for your home involves considering several factors:
- Architectural Style: Consider the architectural style of your home. Choose a siding style that complements the overall design and aesthetics. For instance, traditional homes often look stunning with HardiePlank lap siding, while modern homes may benefit from HardiePanel vertical siding.
- Climate: Take your local climate into account. Different regions experience varying weather conditions, and some Hardie board styles may be better suited for certain climates. Ensure your choice can withstand your area’s specific challenges.
- Color and Texture: James Hardie offers a wide range of color options and textures. Think about the color palette that best suits your home and personal preferences. You can also consult with a design professional for guidance.
- Budget: Consider your budget when choosing a product. While James Hardie siding is an investment in your home’s future, some styles and textures may be more affordable than others.
- Maintenance: Think about how much maintenance you are willing to undertake. While all Hardie board siding is low-maintenance compared to wood, some styles may require less care over time.
- Local Regulations: Be aware of local building codes and regulations that may impact your siding choice. Some areas have specific requirements for fire resistance, energy efficiency, or historic preservation.
How Much Does Hardie Board Siding Installation Cost?
The cost of installing Hardie board siding can vary widely depending on several factors:
- Size of Your Home: The larger your home, the more materials you’ll need, which will increase the overall cost.
- Siding Style: Different Hardie board styles have varying price points. More intricate styles or textures may cost more per square foot.
- Labor Costs: Labor costs can vary depending on your location and the complexity of the installation. Hiring experienced professionals is essential for a successful siding installation.
- Additional Work: If your home requires extensive preparation, such as removing old siding or repairing damaged structures, this will add to the cost.
- Accessories and Trim: Consider the cost of accessories like trim, soffits, and corner boards, which are often necessary to complete the siding project.
- Geographic Location: Prices can vary based on your geographic location and local market conditions.
As a rough estimate, the cost of installing James Hardie siding can range from $6 to $13 per square foot, including materials and labor. For an average-sized home, this can translate to a total cost of $12,000 to $26,000. It’s essential to obtain quotes from local contractors to get a more accurate estimate tailored to your specific project.
Work With James Hardie Preferred Contractors
James Hardie’s Hardie board siding has a rich history of durability and innovation, making it a top choice for homeowners looking for both style and resilience. By considering your home’s architectural style, climate, budget, and personal preferences, you can select the perfect Hardie board siding product to enhance your home’s curb appeal and protect it for decades to come.When it comes to siding, James Hardie offers a winning combination of form and function that can elevate your home to new heights. At Best Exteriors, we are proud to be a Preferred Contractor for all James Hardie products. Contact us today to learn more!